Wednesday, September 8, 2010

PRESIDENT FRIED RICE

I don't know whether it is his utter lack of concern or gluttony that upsets me so much. President Noynoy's trip to Emerald Restaurant to eat fried rice at the height of a crisis speaks a lot of the kind of leader that he is. While friends like Gelo and Jojo would sometimes have lunch late in the afternoon to finish their assignments, here is the president of the country attending to his hunger pangs first before resolving a crisis involving foreign nationals. And the whole scenario of watching a gruesome hostage-taking while eating heartily really makes me question the sensibility of the president. Dead bodies were being carried out of the bus and there was President Noynoy feasting on fried rice and prawns to his heart's content. It was as if he was merely watching a sitcom or PBA game as he ate his fried rice.
Despite my unique meal cycle, I waited for the hostage drama to come to its conclusion before remembering to have dinner. I simply had to commiserate with the victims and their families before attending to my growling stomach. But the fact is, I lost my appetite that fateful evening. I truly wonder why the president did not feel the same way. Of all people, he should have been the one most concerned and affected. He should have been the one to have set aside having dinner to attend to more pressing matters.

1 comment:

  1. For a leader to function well in a time like that he needed his sustenance, simply put, to eat. He could have settled for a sandwich and a canned softdrink, though. Instead of going to some fancy restaurant.

    ReplyDelete