Friday, September 24, 2010

NANAY SEPA

I had an interesting chat with Nanay Sepa last night. Nanay Sepa is the 77 year old owner of the restaurant that I go to everyday. She recounted how life was so difficult during the Japanese occupation. She cited the death of her mother and not being able to give her a decent burial because of the war as the saddest moment of her life. She also recalled how several people were killed by Japanese soldiers using bayonets. What I found very interesting was that Nanay Sepa and her family did not have salt during Japanese occupation. They ate bland food if there was food available at all.
Nanay Sepa's life turned around when the Americans finally came. She was able to set up a store that had a jukebox which people loved at that time. She sold canned goods, Pall Mall, Salem, Coca Cola among other American products.
Nanay Sepa now owns practically a whole section of Pasay. Yet, she remains humble, generous and full of life. I have become her friend as I patronize her restaurant daily . I guess its my willingness to hear her story that truly endears me to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment