Friday, November 19, 2010

SPORTS WRITING TAKES A NEW MEANING

I got into sports writing because I want to feature stories of athletes that inspire and give due recognition to hard work. I also want to feature athletes who are often overlooked for the more popular ones. Most of the athletes I write about are those who really work hard to excel in their sport.
But I now dare to make a bold step forward. Last night, I submitted an article to my editor that will most likely get us sued. The article dares to expose the injustice suffered by the dragon boat team at the hands of top sports officials who are suppose to protect the interests of the athletes.
While I welcome conflict, it just makes me sad to realize that the world can be cruel even to athletes who work hard to bring glory and honor to the country. The rich and powerful can get away with anything they want even in the sporting world. I have always held the belief that in sports, all is fair and that hard work and excellence pay off. But my recent discovery reveals that it is not so.
I just feel that I need to make a stand on this particular issue. Fortunately, my editor shares the same view. At least, my editor is a reminder that there is still hope. There is hope as long as there are people who are willing to take a risk in telling the truth.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking notice. Our national athletes has a lot of potential, given enough support and trust. The Dragon Boat national team is a perennial figure at the track oval and PCSM at Rizal. They train regularly and on the dot. Nothing is surprising if anyone will train as hard as them. Some men have their mouths open looking at the women national team, they lift like men!!

    Just an opinion - POC and our other sports agencies should change the people running it. From what i have observed ...were not getting better with the way they run things, in fact, it's getting scary.

    ReplyDelete