Tuesday, February 22, 2011

LUZVIMINDA MCCLINTON : FILIPINA WORLD BODYBUILDING CHAMPION


Luzviminda McClinton is the first and only Filipina to win a world bodybuilding title. But despite several victories in international competitions, she hardly receives the publicity and support that she truly deserves. In an exclusive interview with Bandera correspondent Eric Dimzon, Luz, as she is fondly called, shares insights on bodybuilding and its benefits and the problems that Filipino bodybuilders face.

1. Why did you decide to go into bodybuilding ?
Favorite ko talaga ang mag-workout. When I got married, sumama na ako sa workouts ng husband ko. After 6 months of working out, I decided to go to the next level which is bodybuilding.

2. How long have you been into bodybuilding ?
About 7 years years now. Yung pagsali sa major competitions, 5 years na.

3. Why do you think there are only few Filipinas who are into bodybuilding ?
Filipino men are more into bodybuilding than Filipino women. I think there are only 20 women in the country who are into serious bodybuilding. Kasi sa Pilipinas, parang di pa accepted ang maskuladang Pinay. We're only used to slim, slender and sexy Filipinas. But at least, ngayon, meron nang 20 Filipinas who are into bodybuilding.

4. What are some of the major competitions that you have participated in and won ?
I first entered as a bodybuilder at the Asian Games in Singapore in 2006. The titles that I have won include :
1. Pro.Fame World Figure Champion 2010
2. Miss Universe Figure 2009
3. Fame Muscle Model 2010, silver medalist
4. Naaba Universe 2009, first runner-up
5. Fame International 2010 Champion 
This year, I plan to compete in Germany and Australia. I would also like to clarify that I am a figure model. A figure model is in between a fitness model and bodybuilder. A figure model is not as big as a bodybuilder. Ito yung sexy at well-defined lang. 

5. What do you wish to accomplish in 2011 ?
While I will continue to compete in international competitions, I wish to focus more in inspiring more Filipino women to take up the sport for 2011.

6. Do you have a problem finding sponsorship ?
I really have a hard time finding sponsors. Luckily, ngayon nandyan na ang Cebuana-Lhuiller to support me. Cebuana-Lhuiller is my first and only sponsor in the 5 years that I've done competition. Sadly, bodybuilders in our country do not get proper support from the government. Bodybuilders would only get support during Asian and SEA Games. But for world competitions, wala talaga. I must mention also Congressman Saldan for his support. Tumulong agad siya nang humingi ako nang tulong sa kanya. In fact, siya and dahilan kung kaya ako bibigyan ng award through a Senate resolution. Vice President Binay will likewise give me an award to acknowledge what I have accomplished abroad.

7. Why should Filipinos take up bodybuilding ?
Bodybuilding promotes fitness and health. It teaches people to have a healthy lifestyle. Once you're into bodybuilding, you must abstain from drinking, smoking, vices and late night outs. You have to workout regularly and have 8 hours of sleep. The sport teaches discipline, hard work and dedication. Bodybuilding is an extremely hard sport. Perhaps, it is best not to call the sport as bodybuilding. Masyado kasing intimidating para sa mga Pilipino ang bodybuilding. Iniisip agad natin na kailangan malaki at maskulado ka pag bodybuilder ka. I just wish that more people get into fitness. Hindi naman kailangan na sumali sa competitions. Yung pumunta lang sa gym and to have a healthy lifestyle, malaking bagay na. Kahit yung mga plain housewives, kahit sa bahay lang, sana mag-exercise. Its all about loving your body.



1 comment:

  1. Long live Ms Luzviminda! I am forever your fan. And I am striving to be the next filipina bodybuilder to compete and win international titles. Thank you for your inspiration. God bless you always!

    ReplyDelete