Monday, October 4, 2010

SERVING OTHERS IN THE PHILIPPINES CAN KILL

I strongly condemn the gang rape that took place in Maguindanao involving a nurse who volunteered her services in the God-forsaken place. Florence, as media names her, was gang raped and nearly killed while serving the poor people of Maguindanao. She is still in critical condition with half her body paralyzed due to severe blows to her head.
I blame the people of Maguindanao for what happened to Florence. Instead of protecting and thanking her for her selflessness, the people of Maguindanao were apathetic to her and a few even plotted evil on her. Florence could have instead gone abroad and earned a lot by practicing her profession. But she chose to stay in the country to serve her countrymen. The sad part of it all is that her decision proved almost fatal.
The incident makes me wonder if it is truly worth it to serve the country selflessly. The presence of evil sometimes make me doubt whether helping people is truly the right thing to do.

2 comments:

  1. My friend, though I am with you in condemning the act that was done to the poor nurse, I think that it is unfair that we blame the citizens of the province for what has happened. I believe that this was a random act of violence, cruelty, sickness, etc. that happened to the poor girl which can happen anywhere in the country (or in the world even). Remember, the Manila hostage taking? Do we also blame the people of Manila for what transpired? Moreover, I remember in one anecdote I read years ago, explaining that evil is merely the absence of good in someone or in this case, some place. The more that I challenge Christians not to abandon the place but to charge it armed with God's light and protection so that the good can be planted and soon be harvested in that region. My two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear friend,
    you made an excellent comment. i thought no one among my readers would still be hopeful that God will pave the way for good to triumph over evil.
    keep reading and making excellent comments.

    ReplyDelete