Thursday, December 16, 2010

THE AZKALS UNMASKED

I am not at all surprised that the Philippine football team lost to Indonesia during the semis of the Suzuki Cup. The Azkals were too busy attending social functions more than their practices the whole time that they were in the country. Instead of practicing their kicks on the field, the Azkals were too busy practicing their smiles in front of the camera. I am not really sure whether the Azkals are being promoted as sports heroes or matinee idols.
But what I find most strange with the Azkals is the need and presence of a PR officer among them. To me, that is a clear indication of the team's unnecessary preoccupation with public image and perception. It is a sign that football is not really what the Azkals are concerned with. Rather, how people perceive them seems to be their main concern.
But I have to give it to the Azkals' PR officer. He got media all hyped up to feature the Azkals extensively and constantly. Sadly, my experience with the PR officer and the team for that matter, revealed to me the character flaw of the entire team. And the experience has generated animosity as far as I am concerned.
The Azkals, to me, are nothing more than a media creation that lacks the skills and values of true sports heroes. Perhaps, the Azkals deserve to lose in order for them to determine and address their shortcomings.

2 comments:

  1. My father and I feel the same way. We say that they finally deserve all this hype when they go against and win in a match with teams such as Japan, South Korea, and any of the European teams until then they look ridiculous posing in front of the cameras without much to celebrate about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear anonymous,
    thank you for reading my post. regards to your dad as well.
    keep reading.

    ReplyDelete