Sunday, December 12, 2010

MY COLUMN IN BANDERA

I sometimes wish that my column in Bandera is easy to do. That I don't have to set an appointment before I could write an article. That I don't have to go to a particular place to talk to an athlete or sports official to be able to beat a deadline and write a piece of work. That I could just write whatever comes to mind and show my brilliance as a writer.
But I remember discovering the caring soul of Sol Mercado behind his intensity and passion through an interview. I remember unveiling the Christian heart of tough-looking Doug Kramer. I remember the funny side of Rabeh Al-Hussaini behind his temper and devil-may-care attitude. I remember Coach Ryan's professionalism and winning attitude through a sit-down talk. And I remember Noelle Wenceslao's tearful story of her team's sad experience with some of the top sports officials of the land.
All these make me realize that I get to experience human interaction at its finest through my interviews. Through my column's format, I get to see athletes and sports officials in a different light which other sports writers don't get to see. While I am certain that I will not be taken seriously like other writers who inject their opinion in their columns, I will nonetheless stick it out with my present format. I choose to take on the hard work to give athletes and officials the space and recognition they truly deserve. So off I go once again to set another appointment for another interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment