Tuesday, August 17, 2010

THE REASON WHY I AM SUSPICIOUS OF JAMES YAP'S SECOND MVP AWARD

Despite his personal problems, James Yap was able to secure his second MVP award for the 2009-2010 PBA season. While I admit that James Yap showed brilliance in some of B-Meg's games, I can't help but doubt whether he truly deserves his second MVP. The doubt mainly results from my discovery that James Yap's first MVP came at the expense of a more deserving teammate.
To investigate James Yap's first MVP victory, I decided to use the MVP rating system of SportsRatings.http://sportsratings.typepad.com/basketball/2008/02/nba-player-rati.html. MVP rating uses a player's total score and incorporates his efficiency and team's winning percentage to come up with a particular score. A high MVP rating indicates a superior season-long performance from a player. A low MVP rating, on the other hand, indicates an inefficient player performance during the season. Plugging all the stats of James Yap and Kerby Raymundo, I obtained revealing and surprising scores. Kerby, for the 2006-2005 season got an MVP rating of 284.5. James merely obtained an MVP rating of 142.5. Simply put, the MVP ratings of both players indicate that Raymundo's performance was twice as great as those of Yap's.
It just shocks me to know that the PBA can conveniently overlook an outstanding performance from a particular player in favor of a more popular cager. It just defies logic that the PBA, Solar and sportswriters can vote for a popular player whose performance is merely half as great as those of a not-so-popular cager. Masyadong garapal naman ang nangyari.
So with James Yap's second MVP award, it is but natural that I treat it with skepticism. I would surely love to get hold of James Yap's stats in the recent PBA season and compare it once again with those of other players. But to this day, the chief statistician of the PBA refuses to give me the stats that I need. This merely fuels my suspicion that something unfair happened once again with the selection of the MVP awardee. But I know that truth will out no matter how hard people try to conceal it.

2 comments:

  1. They said that Kerby is the best player to not have won a MVP award. And I totally agree. He has certain skills that James doesn't have.

    However, I think James deserved this season's MVP. Kung noon, he's totally happy when he received his 1st, now, his life is so devastated and yet he was able to help the team reach semis and last conference, win the championship.

    Give the man credit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris went to smc big bosses to ask favor for james to be the mvp <2005-2006 season>....

    ReplyDelete