Wednesday, June 23, 2010

VIETNAM : A BLOGGER'S NIGHTMARE

The CNN feature of a Vietnamese woman who was jailed for blogging on a sensitive political topic affects me to this day. While I am glad to realize that I enjoy tremendous freedom to express my thoughts through my blog, I am disheartened to know that my Asian neighbors hardly enjoy the freedom that I sometimes take for granted. My heart bleeds for Vietnamese bloggers who are forced to blog in an atmosphere of fear. I can just imagine the difficulty in blogging where one's thoughts are constrained due to fear. The possibility of being jailed for simply blogging, after all, is a frightening thought indeed.
But I believe that no matter how hard the Vietnamese government tries to intimidate bloggers and suppress the truth, brave Vietnamese bloggers will dare to defy restrictions to express their complete thoughts. Serious Vietnamese bloggers will somehow muster enough strength and courage to tell the whole world what the conditions are in Vietnam. As long as there are highly principled Vietnamese bloggers in front of laptops and desktops, the truth will be revealed in Vietnam and to the whole world. I just pray that Vietnamese bloggers will not lose hope in blogging as an instrument to effect change in Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment