Friday, May 6, 2011

EUGENE TEJADA : FROM DARKNESS TO LIGHT

Eugene Tejada was well on his way to PBA prominence when tragedy struck. In a game against Red Bull in 2006, Tejada suffered a nasty fall that had him lying motionless on the court for about an hour. The fall cut short his basketball career and altered his life forever. In an exclusive interview with Bandera correspondent Eric Dimzon, Tejada reveals his darkest as well as brightest moments towards physical, emotional and spiritual healing.

1. How are you now 5 years after that unfortunate incident ?
I'm doing good. I'm trying to get better still everyday. Everyday is a struggle. I still experience numbness in my lower extremities. But God  has enabled me to walk again with the help of walking crutches. Yeah, I'm doing better.

2. What were the thoughts running through your mind immediately after the incident ?
I remember the incident just like yesterday. On the 14th of this month, it will be exactly 5 years since that happened. I knew something was wrong immediately after my fall. I couldn't move at all. I couldn't move my fingers. I couldn't move my hand. I couldn't move my legs. I knew I was paralyzed. You always read or hear how you can get paralyzed. But it never occurred to me that it could happen to me. I was hoping that nothing was broken. I was hoping that it was just a stinger or a bruise that would go away. In the hospital, it was finally confirmed that I damaged my spinal cord.

3. Were you upset or angry with what happened ?
I was not upset or angry. I was scared. I was scared whether I would make it in the next ten minutes. I couldn't breathe on my own. at that time. I was really scared because I didn't know what was going on with my body. I was thinking of a lot of things. Am I paralyzed ? Am I going to die ? Will I ever walk again ? Will I ever play basketball again ? I was basically scared of the future.

4. To make things worse, you were on your way to establishing yourself as a dependable basketball player for Purefoods. Were you frustrated that your career suddenly had to come to an end just when you were finally gaining respect as a player ?
Yeah. I struggled with my first two years in the PBA. I didn't get much playing time from Alaska and San Miguel. So I asked for a trade to Purefoods. Luckily, Coach Ryan picked me up. And when Coach Ryan gave me the chance to play, I really grabbed the opportunity and never let it go. I ended up being best player of the game when I started in a game for Coach Ryan. All my hard work was starting to pay off. But all that was taken away after the incident.

5. Have you fully come to terms with the fact that you will never play basketball again ?
I'm not gonna say it happened overnight. I had a lot of soul-searching. I went into depression. When I got hurt, just to be myself, just to be Eugene Tejada, was taken away from me. I became an infant again. I needed someone to help me go to the bathroom. I needed someone to help me change my clothes. It was very hard. Depression really became a big part of my life. To further add to my depression, my girlfiend, Jenny Hernandez and I broke up. It brought me to a place where it was very dark. I didn't want to talk to anybody. I didn't want to live anymore. I didn't want to go through the struggle.

6. Did you ever think of committing suicide ?
I'll be one hundred percent honest. Yeah, I thought of committing suicide. I considered drinking all my pills to have an overdose. But God flashed an image to my head where I saw my family and friends crying over my casket. I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave this earth and leave so much heartache to my family and friends.

7. How has your injury affected your faith in God ?
As I was going through depression, I was angry at God. I was asking Him what He wanted to do with my life. But slowly, I realized that God saved me through my injury. Before the accident, I was a basketball player living the fame and fortune. I had a lot of women and partied all night. I was really going down a dark path. I believe God wanted me to stop. I believe God allowed me to get hurt to get a better life. A life that would glorify Him.

8. Who were the people who stood by you during your most difficult moments ?
Harvey Carey. Jimmy Alapag. Those guys are my bestfriends. My family. Rob Johnson. Purefoods  for taking care of me and my medical expenses. I would be broke now if Purefoods did not take care of the financial burden. Mr. Pardo and the whole Purefoods family. I know that they are B-Meg Derby Aces now but they will always be Purefoods in my heart. James Yap and PJ Simon , I believe are still there.

9. What is the most important lesson that you learned from the whole sad ordeal ?
That Jesus lives and heals. I don't want to sound preachy, but that is my testimony. I know that I did my part but it was God who healed my nerves and muscles. My doctors told me that I only had a 4% chance of ever walking again. But God, who is the great healer, has allowed me to walk again. God is good.

10. What advice do you want to give to those who may be going through tough moments in their lives right now ?
I will tell them that there is light at the end of the tunnel. That the darkness will pass. That the ordeal is to mold their character to make them the person that God wants them to be. And that there is a need to help others who are going through an ordeal, whether it be minor or major. And to just keep their head up and keep fighting and never give up. The day they give up is the day that they lose. I lost hope several times in the past, but God would always tap me in the shoulder to remind me to just keep going and never give up.

11. What keeps you busy nowadays ?
I'm still doing therapy three times a week, two hours a day. I'm into school to become a minister of healing. I will also finsh my business degree. And I'm working on a book that I intend to publish in the Philippines.

12. Do you have a message to your fans and friends who continue to support you ?
I would like to thank everyone for their prayers. I wouldn't be where I am right now if not for everyone's prayers. I still feel the love and support of the fans. I strive to get better because I don't want to let people down especially those who continue to show support. I know I am not a basketball player anymore but I still need your support and prayers for my full recovery.

15 comments:

  1. That's great to hear from Eugene! We Purefoods/Bmeg Derbay Ace fans miss you! Nice story, this is truly inspiring. EFD, please send our messages of love and support to Eugene. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just keep your head up and keep fighting and never give up. The day you give up is the day that you lose."

    --My favorite quote from this interview

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Proud of you Gene!

    ReplyDelete
  4. go Eugene! watch B-Meg games soon ;]

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were an inspiration as a hard-working basketball player then, today you're an inspiration as a hard-working soldier of God. I believe that's an upgrade...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am personally moved and had a teary eyes upon reading this testimony because of what God has miraculously done into his life. I'm glad that during his darkest time he opened up his heart to see and experience the true love of God in his life that He really cares for him. How he accepted the incident as a wake-up call to his life to make things right before the eyes of God. Every time I read this kind of testimony or story it can make me cry because of the joy that I feel knowing that somebody is giving back the glory to God in spite of the tragedy that have experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Almost cried watching the replay and reading this interview.. Hope everthing is well now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually cried watching his interview on pba aktv awhile ago, and I cried again while reading this. God Bless you Sir Eugene. We will include you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ''i'm so happy that i see u again on the tv screen.and thats true,God has his own wayto heal us if we had a great faith in him.thanks for the inspiration that you've given to us."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your words are so inspiring! Today, you are a thousand times more than you were, when you were a basketball player. Be patient! GOD has big plans for you. Never lose faith. Never stop believing. Never give up on life. Remember, you are blessed! What happened might be the biggest game you have ever played. Guess what. You won. this time,you're with GOD. :) #keepsmiling

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless you Eugene! Keep the faith and may you continue to inspire others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so inspiring story... I SALUTE YOU EUGENE! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. eugene's story is so inspiring. not only that it teaches us to be strong but it also unveils the truth that there really is God...God bless, eugene for the next chapter of your life..hope God sends you someone who will stick with you through thick and thin...

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Eugene,
    Your courage and faith in God is really amazing. I am pretty sure that you inspire a lot of people with similar condition. In fact I encourage a good friend of ours who suffers with excruciating pain all over her body due to a nerve problem .Because of this, she is unable to walk and is now confined to a wheel chair. She is completely dependent on all kinds of pain meds to get through the day. I told her about you and encourage her to learn more of your story to give her hope and strength . Truly God is so good. We are so proud that you turned this negative incident in your life into something very positive. I pray for your continuous journey to recovery.

    God Bless

    Auntie JOcelyn

    ReplyDelete