Thursday, April 21, 2011

SACRIFICE OR OBEDIENCE ?

Holy Week is the time that most people perform personal sacrifices. Some refrain from eating pork as their form of sacrifice. A few go to the extreme and have themselves nailed to the cross. But are sacrifices demanded by God during Holy Week ? Do our sacrifices please God ? Do we really have to share in Jesus' passion in the form of sacrifices ?
To answer the questions above, I looked up several bible verses that deal with sacrifices. 1 Samuel 15:22 says, " But Samuel replied,  " What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice ? Listen ! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams. " Mark 12:33 says, " And I know it is important to love him with all my heart and all my understanding and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law. " Hosea 6:6 says, " I want you to show love, not offer sacrifices. I want you to know me more than I want burnt offerings. From the verses cited, it is obvious to see that obedience is better than sacrifices to please God.
But are sacrifices totally useless in the eyes of God ? Hebrews 13:15-16 says, " Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name. And don't forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God. " Indeed, to do good to others is the form of sacrifice that is acceptable to God. This Holy Week, let us truly offer the sacrifice that pleases God. Let us allow our faith in Jesus' death and resurrection to work in us to enable us to love others and do good works.
A meaningful and relevant Holy Week to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment