Thursday, November 19, 2020

PEARL MANAGUELOD AND HER BRAVE POC JOURNEY


 


I have learned through the years that whoever sits as Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) president, Philippine sports will still end up in its sordid and deplorable state. Past POC presidents have always been associated with corruption cases. The same goes true with other POC elected officials. Thus, the coming election does not give me hope for any change to occur in POC.

But this year's POC election introduces a newcomer who dares to prove me wrong. Pearl Managuelod, the muay thai federation secretary-general, is running for the first time for an elected POC position. She is running for Board Director in the November 27 POC election.

In an exclusive interview, Managuelod answers the questions that many are afraid to ask candidates who seek POC elected posts.


1. Why did you decide to run for Board Director in the coming POC election?

Cong. Tolentino asked me to run under his ticket as a Board Director. When I asked him why me instead of the other seemingly more qualified NSA leaders, he said that he saw the success of our NSA under my leadership. Given my academic background, I believe I can contribute significantly to the development of sports in the country. 

2. What changes do you plan to introduce to POC once elected?

I have an athlete-centered philosophy so most of the programs and policies I want to introduce are geared for our athletes' holistic development, high performance training, safeguarding scholarship funds, education and career transition. It is all about empowerment and capacity-building.

3. Why did you decide to run under Tolentino's ticket?

He has a reliable team. They can play the game. They walk the talk. They seek to unify rather than focus on divisiveness. They share my athlete-centered philosophy.

4. Tolentuno voted not to file charges against PHISGOC. Do you agree with his vote?

I am for accountability and transparency. I did my own research and even went to the Department of Budget Management (DBM) to clarify things. I know that Cong. Bambol Tolentino had his reasons for his vote.

5. Several NSA's like PVF, PBC, PDBF and TATAP were disenfranchised illegally by Peping Cokuangco and remain disenfranchised during Tolentino's term. What do you propose to do with these disenfranchised NSA's?

POC should activate the Arbitration Committee where NSA's will be given the opportunity to air their valid complaints.

6. How will you convince the private sector to support Philippine sports?

Sports must be used as a tool for nation-building. Sports right now is being used for personal and political gain which shouldn't be the case. Once the private sector sees that sports is being used the right way, sponsorship will come.

7. Is sports still relevant at this time of the pandemic?

Sports will always be relevant. There are various levels of engagement in sports. We tend to forget the recreational part of sports. Physical activity is a fundamental right and must be promoted at all levels.

8. What do you ultimately want to happen in Philippine sports?

I would like to take little steps to correct past mistakes made in Philippine sports. I want to see more women in management and leadership roles. I want the youth to be empowered and active in sports. I want Philippine sports to become a source of unity and empowerment.



.

3 comments:

  1. Exactly what Philippine Sports need: Not only a well-educated leader but someone with vision and compassion to our youth and an action taker. Just ask the coaches and athletes in Philippine Muay Thai Association. Hope that the role be entrusted to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. leadership with a vision for nation-building through sports and a big heart for sports. Our athletes deserves due treatment because they too are heroes in their own rights, they too are sacrificing their life and limbs not only during competitions but also during training not to mention their longings for their love ones.

    ReplyDelete