Monday, February 10, 2014

COACH VICENTE OF THE PHILIPPINE VOLLEYBALL MEN'S POOL, RICHARD GOMEZ AND I : AN UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT

An unusual thing happened as I was to interview Richard Gomez. As I asked permission from Coach Vicente, he, the coach, nonchalantly told me that the team does not grant media interviews. I was surprised and disappointed with what the coach said as Gomez had already agreed to do the interview since last week. I left Rizal Memorial Coliseum without getting an interview with Gomez.

I only want to interview Gomez because I want people, most especially athletes, to take his lead. Despite being a popular actor, model and athlete, he attends practices regularly. In fact, he comes to practice way ahead of everyone, including the coach. He does not mind training in oven-hot Rizal Memorial Coliseum and exerts effort to befriend his teammates. The interview would have shown the right attitude and mindset that Gomez possesses which make him a truly outstanding athlete.

On the other hand, a lot of the players in the national pool do not even come to practice. They are not half as athletic nor good-looking as Gomez yet act as if they deserve entitlement. More than two-thirds of those in the pool can not even come on time for training.

I am disturbed that the coach can prevent media from doing its job. I can not think of a valid reason for adopting a no media interview policy. And to set the record straight, Coach Vicente is not coaching the Philippine Men's National team. He is merely coaching the club team that the Philippines will send to the Asian Men's Club Championship. A poor performance from his team in the said tournament might even just cost him the coaching job for the national team.

Hopefully when he is out of the team, I will finally get to interview the members of the volleyball national team without any hassle.


1 comment:

  1. wow...no wonder goma excels in what he does.

    ReplyDelete